2 November 2014

In The Beginning.....

What's all this about then?

Well, after going to the Children's Media Conference this year I have been inspired to work towards pitching an idea for commission at the conference in a couple of years time, I'm not entirely certain what that idea is yet but it will include puppets, narrative, education and entertainment...... a tall order but hey what is life without a challenge?

My intention is to align the project development with my masters qualification in Animation and Digital Effects which, as a part time course, will conclude in 2017... this seems a long way off but I am certain that it will fly by as I have so much to get on with before then like develop a new IP, create the tools and assets to realise the project and produce a short pilot episode on top of working as a senior lecturer and having a family. Hmmm, is that too ambitious?

So, the title of this blog eludes to the fact that the aforementioned puppets are not actual. That's right folks,as fun and endearing as real life puppets are I am a computer animator and so computer generated puppets are my goal.... actually that description somewhat undersells my plan as I really intend to create a digital puppet or puppets that can be manipulated in real time using a physical control system, oh yeah, I need to be able to record the manipulations as they happen and I'm going to be investigating the potential for including he Oculus Rift in this set up..... that ambition thing might need to be reigned in a bit there Mat!!

Well, that's about it, my intentions in a nutshell, but I really dislike a post without images or video so here's a clip of Jim Henson's "Waldo" digital puppet and controller to give you a better idea of the direction that I am aiming with this project....


As amazing as the Henson's "Waldo" controller is I am rather hoping that the advancements in technology over the past 25 years will be enable me to develop something a little less cumbersome.

No comments:

Post a Comment